Sunday, December 27, 2009

Surprised? You Betcha.

It all started last week. Wednesday, the 23rd of Dec. I remember, because it was Dad's birthday. Mum got a call from someone. My sister and I were sitting next to her, making presents for Dad. My brother was in the next room, having breakfast. Listening to Mum's conversation, we began to suspect something.
"What time will you be coming? How much time do you need? Okay, sure, I'll get him out of the house."

It became obvious. A surprise party was being planned. For Dad? Probably. We bombarded her with questions as soon as she put down the phone, but she seemed reluctant to talk. This was odd, because Dad wasn't home. Eventually, she took up a piece of paper and wrote on it:

Koko's friends are having a surprise party for him this Sunday.

Koko is my bro, just in case you don't get it. Chinese words are, sometimes, non-transferable. So anyways, we started planning for my brother's surprise party. A few questions crossed my mind. Why on Earth would they be throwing him a surprise party now? His birthday is way the heck over in April. Meh. I guess they've all come back from overseas and want to surprise him.

So that's how it went. On Sunday, we all went out. We went for lunch, then I went with Jamin and my bro to watch Princess and The Frog(it was alright). Mum and Dad had already gone back home.

By the time the movie had ended, it was still only five. We couldn't go back yet, becuase Jun Ian's friends said to only let him in at 7 pm. Luckily, my dad had overseen that problem. When my brother called him to pick us up, Dad told him that he was busy, so he'll be coming in an hour's time. So we waited at Borders. (phew, safe)

So, at six or so, Dad picked us up, and said that he had to go talk to his brother for a while. So there we went. We went in, and my uncle wasn't even home. I was worried that my brother would suspect something, because Dad was just sitting around doing nothing. Even when my uncle came back, they didn't seem to have anything much to talk about. Luckily, though, my brother didn't seem to notice anything odd. And if he did, he didn't mention it.

* * *

We pulled into the driveway, and my dad "accidentally" pressed on the car horn. BOOOOooon. Damn, I thought. How inconspicuous can you get?

I waited for my brother to go in first, making a big fuss about taking off my shoes. I didn't want to stumble upon his friends and have them "SURPRISE" the wrong person.

However, no one seemed to be around, except...

"Whaat? Justin? What're you doing here??"

"Huh? We're going for band practice tonight. Your mum said it was alright. I told Jeremy to message you. Didn't he?"

I smelled a rat. A rat that smelled awfully like... CONFETTI!

The whole bunch of my school friends burst in my front door, and with Jia En at the lead, they proceeded to spray me from head to toe. I covered my face with my arms, and stood in shock for almost a minute as a never ending spray of confetti, streamers, and fake snow came down upon me.

You know the part at the end of American Idol when the streamers come down onto the winners? Well, I felt like they felt, but so much more hardcore.

Eahh, those gases from the party spray cans are toxic.

I brushed sticky bits of coloured snow out of my face and stared round at everyone.
"I'll be right back. I need to take a shower."

* * *

When I got down, I found that they'd brought food. Lotsa food. I don't know who exactly brought what, but there was pizza, cream puffs, cupcakes, several assorted cakes, potato chips, and many bottles of drink. Then, I managed to take a good look at everyone who was here.

That is, everyone being Jeremy, Ashwin, Victor, Jia En, Li Yang, Juan, Bryan, Rachel, Pei Yii, Sze May, Deniece, Naveena, Clarissa, Samantha and Justin.

Here they are, in their mentioned order from the left.

And here I am, blowing the candles from Jia En's cake out. Those crazy little things never seem to go out, you know? They're like some magical candles. They sparkle, and no matter how many times we blew on them, they would just keep coming back on.

So.. Yeah. Afterwards, we went around the house, then we played Indian Poker and and Signs.

All in all, I had a great time. Best birthday party? Of course.

Jun Shern out.

*Static*

No comments: