Monday, June 6, 2011

Inspirations and Aspirations



I'm becoming very restless.

Maybe it has something to do with the change of location of my computer, and thus a change of workspace. I used to keep my laptop in my room, or in the study room upstairs. However, my entire set-up has been shifted down here, right to the middle of my living room. Why? Because I had planned to get some music done this holidays. By music, I mean finishing an EP, doing collaborations with other people and even music videos. And it's not too late, actually. I have slightly less than a week left. It's still possible.

Yet, with this new place, I find that I can't seem to concentrate on anything. Not enough to write a new song, figure out the arrangement for a mashup, or do anything at all. Maybe it's the heat, too.

Yesterday, I started out my day on the com as usual. I finally finished the IU Day report which I'd been trying to pen since the start of the holidays. Which reminds me, do I still owe you all a post about IU Day? I don't feel up to writing out the whole thing, so maybe I'll just post some pictures here.







However, the day was not over yet. The finale - which until then was kept a secret to the guests - was finally revealed as a five-man band from the St. John’s Alumni Pipe Band burst through the back doors of the hall and marched down the center to the front of the stage, complete with drums and bagpipes. They played several short Celtic tunes, true to the spirit of Scotland. Upon the chorus of the last tune, our school’s Interactors appeared once more, parading through the hall from the back before assembling on the stage where we stood tall and proud. As the grand sound of the pipe band’s final tune came to a close, the Interactors all bowed together for the last time, before throwing our fists in the air as we cheered:
“WE ‘SCOT THE POWER!”
- excerpt from IU Day Report

It was a massive success, just so you know. The entire event ran smoothly, and I could see that everyone was entertained throughout. We had a good crowd, anyway.

The feedback was tremendous. So many people came to me, full of praise for our club and what a good job we had done. Interactors from other schools, people I had never even seen before, were coming up to me, all smiles and compliments.

Yet, the best part came after I got home. My phone beeped, and I opened the message to see that it was from our beloved Interact teacher advisor, Madam Norhayati.

"Conrats 4 de best IU so far."

In terms of spelling, it was far from flawless. But the message it delivered, was perfect.

* * *

After doing one report, I still had other work to do on the com, but noooo. I was restless. I moved on, to the Playstation.

Yes, the Playstation, if you would believe it. And why is that so hard to believe? Because I don't like playing video games. Or rather, don't like it anymore. I used to be fine with sitting down for long hours in front of that interactive idiot box, but guess what? Prior to yesterday, nobody has touched the Playstation or our Xbox 360 for over a month, since my brother left for the US. And me, I can't even remember the last time I used it. Anyhow, there I was, trying to sit myself down and occupy myself with something, anything, by playing an old favourite, Disgaea. I was there for half an hour, then I ditched the game.

Moved on upstairs to watch TV, and caught the ending of a Criminal Minds episode. Restlessness set in again, and I turned it off as soon as the themesong cued.

I went to my room, picked up a new book Mum had bought me from a booksale. Anne Fine, so yes it should be quite an alright book to read. Not 30 pages into the book, and I closed it.

I went downstairs to fetch my guitar, came back up, and was ready to write a song. Not ten minutes later, I decided that the only past time for me was falling asleep.

And sleep I did, for the whole afternoon.

After dinner, for the first time, I decided that I should not let the heat torment me any further. I turned up the air-conditioning. You should note that the fan here in the living room is useless for any circulation that does not involve the air directly below it. Meaning, the only cool spot in this large 20 by 20? square foot room is a little circle barely the size of a hula hoop, directly underneath the fan. Which counts for even less when you take into consideration that there are no chairs underneath the fan, and my computer table is too far away for me to sit within that measly circle of wind.

So, like I said. The air-conditioning was on, and I felt much better. I did a little bit of artwork for my band, so that we could use it for covers and such. I started on the report for our External Prefects' Camp, which, by the way, was fantastic and incredibly meaningful. But no, I don't feel like doing a post on that, sorry. You won't be able to relate, anyway. These kinds of stories have to be felt, not heard.

ANYWAYS. To the point. The whole reason I'm here today, is because of what I stumbled upon yesterday. Stumbled upon, as in Stumble Upon-ed. If you've not heard of it, I do recommend you try it. It's a really neat little web app, which lets you really surf the web for interesting articles, pictures, videos etc. It was introduced to me by a dear friend Mr Kok Hao Zhe, and it has become a steady pastime of mine ever since.

Anyhow, last night I found something truly moving. Take a look at this amazing project.


Follow the link and read through the page before you continue here. If you're interested you can go to the proper website for that project. There, you have the chance to actually write on the wall. Although it may not be the same as actually going out and writing on the wall in chalk, it does still mean the same thing. It's the closest thing we have, at least until someone goes ahead and starts the project here in Malaysia.

I posted on the website. What I want to do before I die. I'm not going to say it here; if you're really curious then you may go to the website and scroll until you find mine. I did write my name as Jun Shern, so it's not impossible to find. Though just one night after posting it, I've found that my post has already been buried pretty deep, so it might not be worth all that scrolling.

Still, I encourage you to write your own dream on the wall. It certainly gets you thinking. What is my ultimate goal in life?

The many hopes and dreams of the nameless people on the wall have inspired me. Many of them do have worthy dreams. Noble dreams, personal vendettas, and selfless wishes. If you take the time to think about some of the things that people are wishing for, you already have glimpsed into the life of someone whom you have never met. Never met, yet you can understand them through that one simple sentence.

I'm starting a new column in my sidebar. As I go about my everyday life, it will grow. Being at such an impressionable young age, there are so many things that I want to do. My ultimate goal, which I posted on the website, will not be posted here. That leaves space for some intriguing thoughts, no?

Before I die, I want to...

Jun Shern out.

*Static*






No comments: